The Vagamon ULtrail - 2025

The Vagamon ULtrail

After Jawadhu'2024 was done, we immediately decided to line-up the upcoming year - 2025 with some outdoor fun, the first in the list being - The Vagamon ULtrail. 

There were 2 categories for me to choose from - 10km and 36km.

The next category being 75kms, which of course, was something I left for my husband to conquer 😉 

After lots of speculation about my practice required for the possible elevation gain to the qualification criteria (which I did have from a year back), I finally settled to do 10kms as one of my friend was doing her first official run and registered for the 10k category and another friend was bringing her two friends were bringing their 5 year old kids for the very first time.

These reasons were enough for me to decide the category. 

After this, we registered for the run in said category and Nilesh for the 75kms category. 

There were nearly 10+ members who registered for 10kms, around same count for 36kms and only 3 members for 75kms, from our group. 

The next step was to practice and my, oh my, how well did I dodge the practice every single day. 

Everyone around was either walking or running regularly and here I was, who didn't run or walk even once during the entire 45 days span.

But what I did do regularly was, my strength training.

I knew I will be able to do the race but there was a fear of unknown lingering every now and then which kept me a little anxious about the whole situation. 

There is something overwhelming about being a CTCian. It's got an aura about it that is really kind of majestic yet humble. 

A bunch of us set out from Chennai to run one of the toughest trails in South India - Vagamon ULtrail.

The long time runners with a background of almost 10 years of running to the newest in the lot (the kids), the entire range of seasoned runners to the beginners made a wholesome package in representing the Chennai Trail Club at Vagamon ULtrail.



The train journey from Chennai to Aluva and then the journey till Vagamon in van, with these guys along was just one fun travel. Had good food, played games, had even bigger laughs and larger fun. 



And on the Race day, we were all set and ready to just have good time during the entire course. 





The decision to run along with the kids - Aegan & Athiyan, in the 10km category, gave me a whole different perspective which I'll cherish and also I feel it's best to experience everything from every possible angle. 

The Vagamon ULtrail - as the name suggests, it's an ultra marathon in trails, organized by Soles of Cochin.

I have experienced the Spice Coast Marathon in Kochi, during 2018, organized by them but Vagamon ULtrail was my first time.

Since it is an event in trail, the 10km itself had almost 400m elevation during the course covering beautiful tea estates, technical uphill, a windy hilltop scenic meadow to traverse and some steep technical downhill sections.






I have heard about Vagamon a lot and experiencing this for the first time myself, will sure make me talk about it as well - "trails in its full glory". 




It was the first time that I was stopping and taking pics during the run because usually I am running my heart out to finish the run on time and avoid any distractions like taking pics or standing and admiring the beauty of trail.

I enjoy the trail while huffing and puffing and not leisurely but this time it was different as there was lot of time to finish the run. 

After almost 2kms, our 10k group was unknowingly split into two.

While Bharathi, Aegan(kid), Ahamed & Aswathy (said kid's parents) and myself were ahead, the other half of us - Vinod, Chandramouli, Athiyan(kid) and Gayathri (said kid's mom) were following us just behind.



We thought to wait for the rest of them but immediately decided against it as it can interrupt both the kids' pace and also it might get difficult for us adults to handle if both Aegan and Athiyan joined forces. 

It was in best interest for everyone that we maintained the split and continued as is. 

The constant talk to keep the kids engaging and also encouraging and motivating them with the ideas of toys, ice cream, biryani etc., to keep moving forward, was overwhelming yet joyous. 

The grit and determination these kids carried with them instilled in me the fact about the natural ability us humans carry, much deeper. 

On the physical strength and endurance front, I felt happy to have progressed considering there weren't any cramps while being on the go for almost 3.5 hrs. and I felt totally fresh as new even after finishing the run. 

May be this was the fear of unknown which I was experiencing since the start and thanks to the strength works, it kept me strong. 

They say that the destination does not matter but the journey. I feel a journey becomes more precious when the company is right…!! 



We fuelled ourselves with some food, post run and clicked few pictures at the finish line. We then retired to our stay, freshened up and relaxed a while.







After having wholesome lunch at the town, we all headed back to the venue (finish line) to cheer the rest of the runners from other categories. 

All our 36kms category reached the finish line and now it was starting to get dark.

The occasional trips to the outside tea shop to have vada, chai, coffee and some fun with kids was keeping us occupied while I was eagerly waiting for Nilesh to reach. 

I spoke to him couple of times earlier in the day and was content to know that they were doing good with no cramps or injury.

I knew that either they will finish the race before it gets dark, and if incase it gets delayed a bit, they will do the "gethu" last minute finish, which the cut off was set for 8.30pm. 

It was already 8.20 pm and they were not in sight at all and since 8pm the eager wait turned to anxious waiting for me.

Just when Bharathi and Aswathy were trying to get my anxiety under control and make me feel relaxed, we saw a bunch of runners approaching the finish line. 

1st and 2nd one approaching - two of our friend.

One of them told that Nilesh is behind.

That's it. So vague. Why behind? How much behind? Nothing.

I understood his situation at the moment and refrained myself from asking anything and just prayed to see my darling soon.

Before I could think anything further, there came Nilesh.

I could never explain the pride and happiness I felt at the moment when I saw him.

I was overwhelmed with joy and accompanied him in the last 50 meters towards the finish line. 

All of us cheered for them and the guys even did 25 push-ups to complete a round figure of 100. 






After some good heartfelt moments, we all started towards our stay. 

The night wasn't over yet, it was just getting started as we all (CTCians) gathered for the camp fire.

With lots of food and hydration, we chatted and had good hard laughs till we got tired and slept after 2am. 

The next morning we woke up early as we had train to catch to get back to Chennai. We all napped in the van, on our way to station. From then on, it was just sleeping in the train as well and getting back home late night and sleeping again. 


It really was one fine trip to start the year. 


#vagamonultrail2025 #trailrunning #chennaitrailclub #alphajodi

Comments

  1. Nice to read about the trail experiences. Really eager to enjoy the experience in an upcoming trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo Riya! Way to go :) very beautifully written!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to many more such runs together Riya. Hugs for never leaving my side on my first official race ♥️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chennai Trail Ultra - 2025

Jawadhu Hills Ultra'2025