Jawadhu Hills Ultra'2025

 Jawadhu Hills Ultra

There are things which you take interest in and there are things where you devote yourself to it coz that's more than interest, it's an emotion to you .
JHU is something like that to many of us.

Here is some vocabulary brush up for the upcoming short part of content coz they deserve the recognition and justice for the work done to be kept as a benchmark in the similar field.

Route Reconnaissance or Recce: This is oriented on a specific, narrow line of travel (e.g., a trail, road) to provide information only on conditions along that immediate path and the terrain directly influencing it.
Zone Reconnaissance or Recce: It involves obtaining detailed information on all routes, obstacles, terrain, and general conditions within a large, defined zone or area, making it far more comprehensive and time-intensive than a simple route recce.

While the CTU recce and simulation of all categories were on full swing, in parallel the core recce team of Chennai Trail Club was silently doing Zone Recce in the amazing hills of Jawadhu.
The exploration was the result of their hard work and selfless devotion of themselves to the trail running community, I'd rather say, as they sacrificed every weekend for almost 3 months, to provide the experience to our participants which would be unforgettable.


While the last year experience at JHU was exhilarating, this year it was something even more than that, I felt exalted.
I was part of the route recce at Jawadhu and it felt nothing short of bliss.
For couple of weekends, I was able to see few sections of each category and finally, one Saturday, I did the final 25km category recce with amazing bunch of friends and it was pure joy.


While I still was exhausted from the long hours spent on trail, an incident happened which kind of shook me and made me see few of them for what they truly are.

“Kidnapped” on the Trails - Jawadhu Recce Tales
The same weekend, on Sunday, after wrapping up the final recce across the course, Nilesh (my husband) and Mani wanted to check a small section of around 4-5 km. Since it was quite a drive from the start village to even get there, they decided to take the car.

I tagged along, thinking I’d just chill while they explored the route; maybe sneak in a quick nap. It was a sleepy 40-minute drive through winding forest roads. But when we reached, the plot twist began.
Apparently, it wasn’t “safe” to wait alone in the car since the area was completely secluded. So they suggested I tag along for a short stroll. I wasn’t exactly thrilled, I’d mentally signed up for rest mode, not trail mode!
Still, I gave in. Nilesh asked me to change into a dry-fit tee (for my comfort, it seems). I then got down of the car, reluctantly. They both asked me to put on my shoes as "it would be easy to ""walk"" on the trail". I looked at them with suspicion and put on my socks, and just as I was about to slip into my shoes, Nilesh casually added, “Better wear your running pants as cotton won’t be comfortable.” So there I was, mid-conversion from sleepy passenger to reluctant hiker - ponytail, cap and all.

They promised it would be just 4-5 km “to and fro.”
Reality? 2.5 km uphill and then all the way back down.
I was basically kidnapped under the pretext of a stroll.
Betrayed? Maybe.
But in the end, it turned out to be a surprisingly fun climb - unexpected views and one more memory added to the trail stories we’ll laugh about for a long time.


Then came the Simulation Day.

While I hadn't been running regularly and only on recce (CTU & JHU), I did have the strengthening base and immediately jumped on this opportunity to run the trails of JHU just as a runner who would on the race day.
*Check out my last year's blog which initiated with similar feelings where I actually wanted to run the course.* 
Jawadhu Hills Ultra'2024

Finally the weekend arrived.
Saturday was for the 50km simulation day and my oh my, the team showed amazing effort, for few of them it was their maiden 50k. The rest of us enthusiastically tried our best in providing aid to our running team and fueled them with breakfast and other items at different locations during the course of run.
Everyone finished the run and had the lunch and shared hearty laughs.
It was now time for recovery and what better than water therapy and good food.


While everyone were in their run-high and were having awesome time, the 3 of us - Achu, Gayu & Riya (myself), decided to retire early for the night.
Each had our own anxious feels and wanted to get some good rest before the run next day.
The next morning we woke up and started getting ready. I was big time nervous as I knew I can do the distance but wanted to do it strong as I hadn't had much practice runs in my corner.
The run started and I was feeling pretty good.



Since I've been on the course for quite a number of times, I was feeling as if I am in the neighborhood and was enjoying my run (these kind of situations are rare as I always keep thinking to finish the race on time).
After the 15th km, I would say, I started feeling the tightness in my legs.
I shook it a bit and was prepared for the final ascent at Periyamalai section and tried keeping a nice rhythm while hiking all along.
The 20th km was the end of the ascent and our team was waiting for us with all the breakfast and other options while cheering hard for us.
After a bit of stretch and 2 kutty banana inside, we left the aid station.
From now on, it was full road section for another 5km.
I had to jog & walk the entire section as I was on the verge of cramps. Nilesh patiently tried pushing and guiding me all along being my motivation.
I haven't learned to push through the tightness and reach the cramp stage and neither push further from there nor just feel the throbbing pain of cramps.
And in a way I feel it's good I am not there yet coz after I crossed the finish line and relaxed for a bit; I was feeling totally fine with my legs.
It did feel amazing and calm all together.





While this was almost the end of the recce and simulation season, we were all gearing up for the actual race day.

Once again, from getting the BIBs delivered to procuring the route Marking items to receiving the finisher medals and collecting the t-shirt and goodie bags for the runners all while prepping for the deployment of the Aid station and coordinating with the food department and bringing the biking and photography team up to the speed with the sections on the course, the next few days just flew by so fast and Diwali also arrived amidst all this.
Then came the day, Wednesday, we started from Chennai towards Jawadhu.
After reaching around 11pm, we started with sorting of route Marking items for 5 teams. It was such a lovely chaos and the spirits were high.
After all the sorting, we slept for a while and the sun rose marking the day for this year's, JHU'25, Route Marking.
After some detailed brief for the day, by our Race Director - Nilesh, we all started with our sections late in the morning.
The process while being tiring with all the walking and tying ribbons and boards, was equally fulfilling.


We almost covered our section by the sunset, with some markings to be done the next day(mostly road part).
After having some hot beverage and food, post reaching the town, we had to gather up at our venue for the de brief by our RD & Route lead - Nilesh.


While the meeting lasted for quite sometime, in parallel the next day task were being assigned.
And there came the twist for me,
I had got my periods amidst all this and the cramps started to set in.
It has kind of now become a ritual for quite sometime that any race or such event arrives, I'm surfing the crimson wave.
I didn't want this to be an excuse for anyone to keep me out of the lines and thus kept the cramp pain to myself and in return got a section to route mark the next day.

New day, but the same vibes. All engrossed in the work to provide the best experience to all the runners registered for our JHU.
I had some 3km section to route mark in my plate this day, and 5 of us started from the ground (start point) to do the said work.
After the marking was done, 2 of them had to continue and check the markings which was done yesterday as at Jawadhu, our ribbons tend to be the center of attraction for all the villagers and you can find ribbons at almost everyone's house, their bikes, cycle, braided along their hair, even maatu kombu (cow horn).

After reaching the venue, I had some chill time and did some work and met some friends and also made some.
The runners started coming in and one could see the festival had just begun.
All the departments working in parallel to provide the runners their lifetime experience on the beautiful trails of Jawadhu powered-by our own Chennai Trail Club Volunteers, this feel and view itself gave me goose bumps.
As the sun began to set, all the runners were gathered for briefing.
The route details and other necessary info required for the runners was being shared.
Post runners briefing, briefing for the volunteers was lined up.
And here is the surprise which I have been holding inside for this long.
I was going to be one of the route marshal on the trail this time.
Although I wouldn't be on much movement while marshalling this time, I was happy to have taken my baby steps into the marshalling field.
After a quick yet detailed briefing to the RMs by RD, I started to set my materials to carry for the next day.
Saying that I was happy like a kid, would still be an understatement.
Finally went to sleep around 1am to get at least some 2 hrs. of sleep.
Before the race began, I already started from the start point and by 5am I was at my location in the trail.
Happily doing my work which was asked from me, I enjoyed every minute there guiding the runners to take the correct route per their category.


After all the runners crossed the point, I was then relieved from my duty and headed back to the start point.
Had my lunch and gave company to other volunteers/friends who were on duty.
Lots of talks, laughs and fun banter made the day going smooth like butter.


By evening we got the chance to visit a nearby Aid station (5km from the finish point) and cheer on the 85km runners who will now be coming there, almost near to finishing their race.
The stroll in field, before the enthusiastic encouragement to runners, was a relaxing break from the beloved responsibilities.


Post cheering couple of 85km runners when they arrived at AS, we headed back to finish point.


After all the runners arrived at the finish point, all our shoulders relaxed a bit and we got happy a bit more and celebrated to the fullest.

Here, the volunteers of Chennai Trail Club, are some of the most hardworking and dedicated ones I have seen by far in my life.
One might think that I am saying this coz I am part of it, but no, even I came to realize this when someone outside from our community praises the volunteer spirit in manners they have felt in awe with this community; be it pre-race, on trails or even post-race; because until then I felt that that's how volunteers are all over.
While our volunteers are all that's said above, we also let go of anything (for the moment) at the drop of a hat when anyone shouts "Group PHOTOOOOooooooo".
And thus the above scream happened and all our volunteers gathered for a group pic.


In those moments, each and everyone felt the contentment and I suppose emotions started dwelling up; at least for me.
And then something unexpected happened. A runner came in front of us and expressed his awe for our community and was genuinely elated seeing everyone put the efforts which made this event one unforgettable memory for all and announced to present us with some amount, urging us to utilize the same only for celebration and not for any donation or kind, as we tend to do.
The amount being on one side but to see others recognize the work we do and praise the spirit is something what we love about our work and we live in the outdoors for this very contentment we feel post giving our all to this outdoor community.

After wrapping the moments capture session; Nilesh - lead of the Zone/Route Recce and Route Marking/Marshal team of Chennai Trail Club; gathered us (Marshalling Team) and gave us the feedbacks he got from the runners and his personal views, which was, that almost everyone enjoyed the trails and marking was to the point and they loved the experience seeing the marshals do their job so dedicatedly that they would love to come back to Chennai Trail Club's event just for above said reasons.
These talks were enough for my already built-up emotions to surface out.
I cannot put words to how I felt in that moment but I surely am living that moment, again, while sharing here.

Everyone were delighted and hugged each other and shared smiles and laughs and just like that we wrapped up the event successfully.

I believe, everyone had great learnings and I had ultimate learning and even greater time volunteering with our own CTC family.
Always a delight being on the field and providing a complete experience to the runners while creating life long memories for yourself.

Until next time!

Comments

  1. Nice write up.. covered up just like live telecast..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully penned down. Volunteering with the CTC is more than just volunteering, it’s a life experience - one where you enjoy the whole process, and not just the final destination.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chennai Trail Ultra - 2025

The Vagamon ULtrail - 2025